My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wokabout.net
and update your bookmarks.

~Happy Earth Day~

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sometime in the future, I'd like to make more of a point to celebrate this day. The last few years (except last year -- last year I kind of forgot Earth Day), I've made collages with my kids or recycled plastic bottles into mini composting systems with my kids at the daycare. And then I would go work in or at least water and enjoy my small patch of earth in my community garden and eat fresh veges for dinner. For now, we had a massive storm last night and its still a bit drizzly this morning. But how nice is it to lie in bed listening to the thunder play a kind of timpani-like percussion line? Or peak through your curtains at the most fantastic natural display of fireworks as the lightning dances across the sky? I know it may not be brilliantly lit different colours like Chinese fireworks (I can hear all the Chinese saying "psh, that's nothing on our Spring Festival celebration). But I say, God has made nature to be so much less obnoxious to anything we as humans try to put together. So I suppose you could say, Earth celebrated early today.


I think that's the first full on storm, complete with thunder, lightning and all the works that we've had since I've been in China, now that I think of it.

So I'm hoping next year, that I'll have a little roof garden. Maybe we'll have a little recyclable celebration with our Chinese friends. It is our mandate after all, to take care of the earth. But for now, since we don't have a little place to call our own, I thought I'd share a little trailer of a project that I've become interested in. I'm not sure if I'll participate...I secretly hope, our baby will be born on the day of filming so we can capture his/her first few hours and submit that. I've even thought of going to some tiny country that barely anyone knows of to increase my chances of being selected to participate. I've also reasoned with God that its for occasions like this, that I really need a Canon D7.

And of course I cried when I watched it. Oh the joys of being pregnant. But I do love this world. I don't love certain things like stinky tofu or car alarms or that tobacco companies in China are bent on causing everyone to die of emphysema but I truly believe the world is full of beautiful people, things, places. Most of which need to be seen in order to be believed and definitely to be understood. You never know unless you go.



Happy Earth Day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!