My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wokabout.net
and update your bookmarks.

Pearly Shells, on the Ocean...

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

shining in the sun, covering the shore.  When I see them, my heart tells me that I love you!  More than all the little pearly shells...

(Sorry that was a sentimental moment that only those from my child hood years will understand...)

For the last three years, I have visited the ridiculously cold beached of Northern California and every time we went to San Diego, the weather was too lousy or cold to swim.  So for my birthday this year, I begged Jason to take me to Beihai, a small fishing village about 2 1/2 hours away from us in Nanning.  After visiting several beaches in Asia and the Pacific and knowing no two are alike, I was wondering if this one would fit into the swimmable or non-swimmable category and basing my assumptions on the fact that the Chinese don't always care if there is a rubbish bin close by, I was going with "un-swimmable but still a beach".  I'm not really a swimming person anyway.  I fall into the "sit the sun, get a tan (yes Mum, with my sunscreen), read my book, likes long walks on the beach and pina coladas" category personally. 

Well, Northern Queensland it ain't but I was pleased to find white sandy beaches, palm trees and so-so water (at least it wasn't freezing cold!)...and about half the population of China. Apparently the other half will arrive next Friday for the Labour day festival when beach season officially kicks off.   Silver Beach, where we stayed, is marketed as (and I quote) "The number one beach on the earth" and the Chinese -- many of whom have never and will never venture outside of their own country -- couldn't believe that more whole-heartedly.  We decided that the beach will run out of sand in the next few years due to literally everyone taking a bag full of it home as a souvenir.  Its about the only beach on earth where the girls wear more clothes than the guys for fear of getting tanned and the guys where speedos and/or next to nothing.  Its also the only beach were you are likely to be harassed to have your picture taken by hundreds of people, be dogged by the 'delightful' pearl peddlers who have a hard time understanding no even in their own language, and if you're not careful, you'll be yanked right off the road into a taxi before you even know what hit you!  As long as we stayed put on the beach and didn't venture 2 metres away from our towels, we seemed to fair ok (or was that cause we were pretending to sleep?).  When we weren't busy being lazy, we were busy trying not to be ripped off.  They don't get as many white foreigners as the adds say they do!  Perhaps its better said as 'The number one over-statement on Earth'?  Still, it is the pride of every Chinese heart.


We had intended to camp on the beach (yes Dad, its legal), but due to the fickle weather we had to get ourselves a hotel for a whoping $15 a night -- hey it wasn't the Shangri la and definitely didn't have more than 2 stars (did it even have one?) but we don't have kids so we can do crazy things like that right?  The sun was merciful enough to grace us with her presence for a little while.  Enough to bring a little colour to one's skin (and burn the American who put on the bare minimal amount of sunscreen to please me since it was my birthday...).  I tell you what, if I ever see anyone of you wear nylons and stilettos to the beach (or any other ridiculous, obviously not beachy type of outfit), I will personally take you out the back and tan your hide.  These people need proper beach etiquette lessons.


I got a tan so I'm happy!  Happy, happy birthday to me!  More stories to follow I'm sure...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!