| From Chinese New Year |
We tried watching a movie last night, but the incessant explosions of not-too-distant fireworks was hard to ignore. I'm not joking when I say that there was not a scene in the movie that wasn't interrupted by more than a few loud bangs. I think the only thing the Chinese enjoy more than the new year is lighting fireworks. And you have to remember, gun powder was first discovered by the Chinese in the 9th century (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_powder#History). So I would say about %90 of the fireworks readily available to them on the street would be deemed illegal in the State of California. Bottle rockets, firecrackers, M whatevers. You name it, they'll set it off. For the past week, that's all they've been doing. Morning and evening. Near and far. The ones that are far are not the scary ones, it's the ones that go off right outside the bathroom window while you're sitting there trying to do some paperwork. Or the firecracker ropes that your upstairs neighbour just hangs off their balcony and lights. It's exciting to say the least. But it is exciting. Being in China for the Chinese New Year celebration is an experience not many foreigners get. And I'll try to remind myself that next year, just like I'll try to remind myself to use headphones.
Jason
0 comments:
Post a Comment
Tell us what you think!