My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wokabout.net
and update your bookmarks.

A short ode to Fathers

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Its Father's Day in Australia. I believe I have mentioned this before but originally this posed a small dilemma for us, being that Jason is American and I am Australian. See, Mother's Day is universally the same date but Father's Day on the other hand, is different, depending on what country one is in. So what is one to do? At first it was, we'll celebrate whatever country we're in at the time but then I quickly realised that mean't this year, Jason would get two Father's Days and I'd only get one Mother's Day. I'm totally selfish I know but after all, I'm carrying the child not to mention giving birth to it and I only get one Mother's Day? So, its heartless I know, but he gets the American Father's Day and that's it. My Dad has let me know a bazillion times this weekend that he thinks that's incredibly unfair to Jason and I suppose might I appear heartless over the whole thing so here's a short ode to both my dad and my Baby's daddy.


So first, to my Dad (for who today is really Father's Day):

To the one partially responsible for my being here in the first place, to many hours of repetitious videographing of the various songs and other talents I had as a small child. Only you can read 'There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly" and the part in the Little House series when Jack the Dog dies. For all the years you ate 'the burned things' and I thought you actually liked things that way -- I remember the time it occurred to me you only ate the burned biscuits because you knew we wouldn't. There is a song to go with every occasion (or at least some kind of Cockney slang). When I think of all the PMS you've suffered what with five females in the house and the fact that you never kicked any of us out (even though you threatened too), I do believe you deserve some kind of medal. Or perhaps it will be the satisfaction of seeing me go through it all with my own children now that will be reward enough.

And to my Baby's daddy, Jason:

Every day should be a celebration of you. How many other pregnant women have husbands (you deserve a medal on that point alone) that make them breakfast, let them sleep a little longer in the mornings, and tell them they are beautiful at 32 weeks (even though they are HUGE)? I already see the way you are as you say in your own terms, "addicted" to our little prodigy. I believe you when you say nothing is going to get done after Myrgatroyd is born because you will not be able to tear your eyes away, not even for a moment. Although I will have something to say if you start waking Baby up 'just to check' all the time. I look forward to finding that book only you can read, the 'Daddy songs' you will make up, the crazy rules and threats you'll impose (but let me tell you, grounding for life really doesn't work), and the adventures you'll take our small one's on.

I'm really happy that our new family member has a good solid legacy to grow into (and a shout out to the American Father-in-law -- you're pretty great too and I include you in that last sentence also).

And finally a quote that describes the men in my life perfectly:

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like ‘What about lunch?’”

A.A. Milne

(and to top it all off, we saw a koala in the tree outside our new house today -- how sweet is that?!)


Happy Father's Day!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!