Disclaimer: the pictures are strange sizes because my flicker account said I was at my limit of uploading for the month. Also, I have better pictures of the flower parade but, again. Can you believe it?! Don't they take into account people who take a vacation?!
Of course, in a perfect world, the ideal form of travel would be elephant. But I suppose all vegans will dispute me on that one. Here's what I have to say: You can't possible tell me that I, weighing approximately 47kg (about 100lb), am causing a 3 - 5 tonne animal, pain by sitting on it. In my opinion, elephant travel is probably akin to driving a Toyota Prius when you think in terms of environmentalism. However, it's probably good that we don't encourage everyone to trade in their land cruisers for elephants. One has to think about food consumption and excrement, not to mention the upgrades to the garage. Like I said -- in a perfect world.
Actually, riding an elephant is the one thing that we both would have really loved to do in Thailand but poor people traveling usually equates to 'something having to give'. So when faced with Angkor Wat or and elephant ride, we opted Angkor Wat obviously, not really knowing when we'd make it back that way. We do however, foresee many trips to Thailand in the future, and Chiang Mai, being in the north, is surrounded by elephant conservations sooo...as much as I hated to say it (or hear it rather)...it'll have to be next time, Sweetie.
Our final destination now reached, we were faced rather rudely with the 'how do we get home?' question. And before Chinese New Year (why before Chinese New Year? I hear you asking. Simply put -- because we're stupid...but you knew that already didn't you...).
Our original plan had been to go through Laos on our way home.
Our original plan had been to go through Laos on our way home.
Problem: Jason ran out of pages in his passport. Firstly, I think this is ridiculous. American passports are tiny! So even though his doesn't expire for another 3 years, and I have traveled to more countries than him, he will get to experience having pages added to his passport and I wont. And probably won't get to do so for a long time if ever since I still have half my passport empty and need to get a new one next year.
See, we didn't count on Cambodia's visa needing a whole page since it was issued at the border.
So we glanced longingly at Laos while we boarded yet another bus in the opposite direction back to Bangkok to fly into Hong Kong. Now in hindsight, after spending my second Chinese New Year in China, I'd have opted to spend more time in Chiang Mai and go to the American Consulate there rather than get back in time for Chinese New Year BUT we live and we learn don't we? Well, hopefully we learn...what have I learnt this Chinese New Year? That I really don't wish to spend another one in my city but that's a different subject.
Where were we? Oh yes -- elephant travel.
Well, if one can't ride an elephant, then one certainly can't be found guilty of not taking the cheaper option of freedom travel -- the motorbike. And I don't just mean hoping on the back of someone else's motorbike this time. No, I mean, Jason was able to realize a dream of his and ride one for himself.
Now if you're astute, you may be forgiven for assuming this bike is a scooter on first glance. Jason has asked me to clarify that its just an automatic. By the time we realized we still had time to hire a motorbike, all the throttle ones had already been taken out for the day. So just to clarify, it is a motorbike.
Once Jason handed over his passport as 'collateral' (standard procedure I assure you), the Thai man that we hired the bike from showed his regular concern for western drivers in an Asian culture, recommending we stay away from the main roads etc. So Jason put him at ease:
"Man, we live in China."
"Oh, well, then you'll all be fine. Chiang Mai'll be a piece of cake...Just don't forget there's the huge flower festival parade today."
"A what?"
"Not a...THE flower festival parade."
What he meant was, the longest parade with the prettiest Thai girls -- and boys -- on Chiang Mai's annual calender.
So once we made our way through that, we set off to find...nothing really. He just wanted to ride, and I just wanted to revel in the manliness of my man, the wind in my face, and the sun kissing my skin before going home to the miserable cold and wet. Jason navigated his way through the craziness with skillful ease (he's such a natural) and I filmed the whole thing...on pause so I think I actually missed it all really but Jason is yet to look through the video footage to see if I got maybe got something. Give me a regular camera any day. As God would have it, we found a waterfall a short distance from the city and left our newly found favourite past time long enough to climb to the top...and start freaking out that the bike would be stolen by the time we got back down again...it wasn't. Then, because we couldn't think of anything better to do, we drove to a supermarket, picked up a few things (including some yummy vegetarian pad Thai for dinner). And then, much to our dismay, the sun was setting and we realized our bus to Bangkok would be leaving soon. So we regretfully made our way back to the little garage we hired the bike from in the first place, begrudgingly handed over the keys and helmets, and then I prized Jason away from the 'real' motorbikes that had also be returned by ever-so-regretful hirees. You know, its that one time in your life where you think, I don't really need my passport back do I?
As much fun and convenient as it would be to have a motorbike in China, the government changes the laws about them as often and most Chinese women change their shoes (which is often). Funnily enough, it's perfectly ok to have an electric bike...which can only take you so many kilometres in a day...which means, you can't really get out of town on one...which means they know where you are...I don't buy the environment concern propaganda. So sadly, we have to lay our little romanticized dream of owning a 'quick get away vehicle' to sleep for now (not that we have that kind of money anyway but you can't put a price on dreams). However, I do believe this means we can get a Vespa scooter. See saying, "I own an electric bike" and "I own a motorbike" well, the latter packs more punch than the former. But, one can still own a Vespa and be cool, I believe.
Where were we? Oh yes -- elephant travel.
Well, if one can't ride an elephant, then one certainly can't be found guilty of not taking the cheaper option of freedom travel -- the motorbike. And I don't just mean hoping on the back of someone else's motorbike this time. No, I mean, Jason was able to realize a dream of his and ride one for himself.
Now if you're astute, you may be forgiven for assuming this bike is a scooter on first glance. Jason has asked me to clarify that its just an automatic. By the time we realized we still had time to hire a motorbike, all the throttle ones had already been taken out for the day. So just to clarify, it is a motorbike.
Once Jason handed over his passport as 'collateral' (standard procedure I assure you), the Thai man that we hired the bike from showed his regular concern for western drivers in an Asian culture, recommending we stay away from the main roads etc. So Jason put him at ease:
"Man, we live in China."
"Oh, well, then you'll all be fine. Chiang Mai'll be a piece of cake...Just don't forget there's the huge flower festival parade today."
"A what?"
"Not a...THE flower festival parade."
What he meant was, the longest parade with the prettiest Thai girls -- and boys -- on Chiang Mai's annual calender.
So once we made our way through that, we set off to find...nothing really. He just wanted to ride, and I just wanted to revel in the manliness of my man, the wind in my face, and the sun kissing my skin before going home to the miserable cold and wet. Jason navigated his way through the craziness with skillful ease (he's such a natural) and I filmed the whole thing...on pause so I think I actually missed it all really but Jason is yet to look through the video footage to see if I got maybe got something. Give me a regular camera any day. As God would have it, we found a waterfall a short distance from the city and left our newly found favourite past time long enough to climb to the top...and start freaking out that the bike would be stolen by the time we got back down again...it wasn't. Then, because we couldn't think of anything better to do, we drove to a supermarket, picked up a few things (including some yummy vegetarian pad Thai for dinner). And then, much to our dismay, the sun was setting and we realized our bus to Bangkok would be leaving soon. So we regretfully made our way back to the little garage we hired the bike from in the first place, begrudgingly handed over the keys and helmets, and then I prized Jason away from the 'real' motorbikes that had also be returned by ever-so-regretful hirees. You know, its that one time in your life where you think, I don't really need my passport back do I?
As much fun and convenient as it would be to have a motorbike in China, the government changes the laws about them as often and most Chinese women change their shoes (which is often). Funnily enough, it's perfectly ok to have an electric bike...which can only take you so many kilometres in a day...which means, you can't really get out of town on one...which means they know where you are...I don't buy the environment concern propaganda. So sadly, we have to lay our little romanticized dream of owning a 'quick get away vehicle' to sleep for now (not that we have that kind of money anyway but you can't put a price on dreams). However, I do believe this means we can get a Vespa scooter. See saying, "I own an electric bike" and "I own a motorbike" well, the latter packs more punch than the former. But, one can still own a Vespa and be cool, I believe.






0 comments:
Post a Comment
Tell us what you think!